Spray chrome isn’t a regular paint and it takes some practice at the beginning to properly understand how to achieve perfect results. When our customers first start using Cosmichrome they may have some imperfections in their final results, and at times some simple adjustments can make a big difference. Given the years of experience using the spray chrome technology, we’ve made a list of 15 Golden Rules that every applicator needs to make sure they are following to achieve the superior results with Cosmichrome. We will disclose these 15 rules in 3 posts on our website over the course of the next months. Here are the second set of 5 Golden Rules:
RULE 6 – REMOVE HUMIDITY FROM YOUR AIR LINES
- Double-check the air quality coming from your compressor!
- You cannot have moisture in your air lines.
- Make sure the quality of air coming from your compressor is very clean and dry.
- If your air quality is not clean, it will contaminate the metal plating on your part!
RULE 7 – KEEP YOUR WATER PURE
- To achieve proper applications with Cosmichrome products, you need pure distilled water.
- Impure water can contaminate your part.
- It is possible that your distilled water is not pure enough for the Cosmichrome plating process.
- Therefore, always test the purity of your distilled water with a TDS meter.
- The TDS reading must be .000 or .001 maximum.
- Make sure to review how to properly test your distilled water by watching our dedicated online training video; https://www.cosmichrome.com/testing-distilled-water-for-purity/
RULE 8 – KEEP YOUR PRODUCTS FRESH
- Chemicals and paints that are expired can ruin your part.
- Always use non-expired products and discard if they pass the expiry date.
- Mix the A22 Activator every day before use and discard after 6hrs.
- The G5 plating solution is good for 1 year after opening.
- G4 & G4-11 plating solutions, once mixed, are good for 90 days.
- Refer to the Cosmichrome training manual for further details.
RULE 9 – DON’T CROSS CONTAMINATE CHEMICALS
- One drop of another product can contaminate the entire tank of plating solutions.
- Open only one tank at a time to reduce the chances of cross-contamination.
- Make sure you always use new or very clean containers when mixing the A22 activator.
- Only use distilled water for cleaning, and always mix products using a precise digital scale.
RULE 10 – MAINTAIN CHEMICAL TEMPERATURES
- For ideal results, all your products, including distilled water, should be kept at a constant temperature of between 75 °F & 80 °F / 23°C & 26° C.
- If your products are too cool (below 72°F/ 22°C), the plating reaction will be much slower, thereby wasting more products and resulting in a less brilliant shine.
- You can ensure this doesn’t happen to you by installing a chemical heating unit on your Master System Pro.
- To know more about our chemical heating unit, please contact us or visit the Cosmichrome Website; https://www.cosmichrome.com/chemical-heating-unit/